Morgan County is a thriving, primarily agricultural area surrounded by Weld, Logan, Washington, and Adams counties in northeast Colorado. One of the leading producers of corn in the state, Morgan County has over 750 farms that also produce vegetables, wheat, and hay. The South Platte River, a Platte River tributary which runs through the cities of Fort Morgan and Brush, supplies most of the water to irrigate these farms.
Morgan County was formed in 1889, a few years after the establishment of several of the communities within its borders. Today, the county is home to over 28,000 residents. Morgan County is accessible from Interstate 76, US Highway 34, and State Highways 52, 71, and 144. It is just over an hour’s drive east of Denver.
Fort Morgan, the county seat, is the most populous city and has an estimated population of more than 11,300. Named after the 19th-century fort that used to stand here, this historic city is home to the Fort Morgan Museum and among its other amenities are an 18-hole municipal golf course, over 70 acres of parks, and a municipal airport.
Other statutory cities and towns in Morgan County are:
- Log Lane Village
Located as it is in the lush South Platte Valley, Morgan County is “where the prairie meets the sky.” Bisected by the South Platte River,this tranquil corner of northeast Colorado is the ideal choice for those who want to live a more laid-back and rural lifestyle.
Morgan County real estate
Morgan County offers the best of country living.The area boasts a variety of single-family homes and lots in both new and well-established neighborhoods, as well as a wide range of farms, ranches, horse properties, and acreage. Land here can be anything from a half-acre lot in Fort Morgan to vast acres of farmland.
Morgan County attractions and activities
- Quail Dunes Golf Course – Golf enthusiasts of varying skill levels can work on their game at the 165-acre Quail Dunes Golf Course. This 18-hole, par 72 course in Fort Morgan will give you a unique golfing experience beside the South Platte River.
- Jackson Lake State Park – One of the best camping spots in Colorado is at Jackson Lake State Park. Campers are allowed to set up camp all-year round at any of the park’s240 exciting campsites. The park’s centerpiece is the over 2,400-acre Jackson reservoir.
- Riverside Park – Located in Fort Morgan, this large park boasts of various sports courts and fields, walking trails, swimming pools, a playground and disc golf course, and more.
- Brush Rodeo – Held at the Morgan County Fairgrounds, this annual three-day rodeo event in Brush features over 400 rodeo contestants, 2,500 spectators, a grand parade, and an incredible fireworks display.
- Fall Harvest Car Show–Every September, Fort Morgan hosts one of the largest Northeastern Colorado car shows, with over 275 participants and a variety of classic cars.
Learn more about your real estate options in Morgan County by calling me, Claudia Hewell at 970-672-6976, or emailing me at Claudia@HorsePropertyDeals.com. I look forward to helping you find your ideal horse property, farm, or ranch in beautiful Morgan County.